When we create a blog and we publish it for the entire world, we have all these hopes and dreams for what it will become. We want it to be successful and we want it to be a place where we can let others have a glimpse into our lives. We want it to be an encouragement and a light that points others back to their Savior.
There were a THOUSAND things I imagined this blog would be but inconsistent was NOT one of them.
Unfortunately, while actually living my life, I have left little time for this precious space I so dearly love and dream of making into something extraordinary not just for my family and community but also for God. I want it to be a place where I can share His knowledge and truths with other people, just like us. But perhaps God’s plan for my page wasn’t for it be an every day situation, maybe it was always meant to be a place for me to pour out in moments when I am CALLED to.
The truth is, my life is INSANELY busy. And every day, He integrates something new and wonderful into our little world and I am utterly amazed by it. I never know what He will show me, what He will speak to me or where He will lead me from day to day and that’s the most beautiful part of our adventure.
With that said though, I do believe this place matters. It is a part of my calling and it is a part of my life that deserves my time. It means the world to me when someone reaches out and says, “I really miss your encouragements. Your blog is sometimes a lifeline when I get distracted or feel overwhelmed.” What a beautiful, beautiful blessing. If this place can be that for even just one person then I am so incredibly in awe and thankful. Goodness knows we all need that, including me. (Hand is raised and waving!!!)
So going forward, I am praying and asking the Lord to give me the ability to manage my time better for all of you. To be that vessel for each of you daily. Even if it is only a paragraph of encouragement.
Times are rough my friends and many of us are facing battles in the unseen places we can’t even adequately describe but God is so faithful and He uses us to encourage one another in simple and big ways every day. I hope this place can become that more and more every day in this year to come.
So what all HAS happened in 2016?
Well, I am so excited you asked because a LOT has happened in 2016 and it has only JUST begun! So here it is. You might want to buckle your seat belts because it’s a trip for sure!
- Homeschool is ROCKING! We made some big adjustments to how we homeschool. I threw out my schedule (GASP!!!! I know. I know.) and we learned to take each day as it comes. Every day we focus on these specific subjects: Math, Phonics, Handwriting and Reading. We ditched all those extra subjects because while my son is a MEMORY MACHINE, he is just 5. It’s only Kindergarten. I don’t want to overwhelm him with knowledge that becomes boring when it is necessary further down the road. I stopped printing every amazing worksheet I saw on Pinterest because again, he is 5 and this is Kindergarten. My goal is to teach him to fall in love with learning so our journey in Homeschool is successful and vibrant not a total failure by 3rd grade. I have learned to understand my son’s needs in a very unique and special way, and that was so needed. My homeschool didn’t need to be about what I thought should be on my checklist but about what is important for him. When we started, our main goal was that he learn to do some basic reading by the end of the year. I honestly wasn’t sure we would make it but WE DID. Mister M can read entire sentences and small paragraphs. He still has to sound through some words and some phonics sounds we haven’t even learned yet but he listens, he learns and he moves forward. Our simplified experience has caused my little man to SOAR and on more than one occassion each week, he will come in and say, “Can we do more homeschool Mom?” (GASP again! Who thought that was even possible?!) It’s a beautiful journey and we are blessed by it daily!
- I started college. Fulltime! Yes. You read that right. This homeschooling Mamma is now also a full time college student. I may have lost my sanity but I am fairly certain I heard God right on this 😉 As of January, I am enrolled in Liberty University and am working to receive my Bachelor’s of Psychology. I was attempting to complete a Bachelor’s in Education and hopefully down the road become a teacher but my husband and I truly feel that our homeschool journey will continue until Mister M is in college. With that said, we felt that this degree plan was not where God was leading me and after much prayer, I changed my major. My plan is to complete my Bachelors then my Masters so that I can go into Christian Counseling. I have an immense heart for those suffering from Mental Illness, PTSD, Depression, Addictions, etc. I want to make a difference in their lives and our communities by raising awareness and being a light and a source of God’s healing. While I am so excited and blessed, I am also human; so at times, I feel very overwhelmed with all I have to juggle and I find myself asking over and over, “Are you sure God? Did I get this right?” And the answer is always, “Yes. Now trust ME.” Ouch. That one is always harder than it seems. But God is ALWAYS faithful. So school is trucking along and so far I have all A’s. Let’s pray this continues! God has something special in store and I want to be diligent and faithful in this for Him.
- I am teaching TWO COOP Classes this semester. Yes. You read this one right too. Maybe I have lost my mind? Eh. Either way, I am teaching both a Forensics Science class (those who know me are smiling huge right now because they know I analyze and break down every movie they watch with me and I have YET to be wrong on who the real killer is!) and also an American Girls History Class. I love both and I have some amazing kids. You will probably be hearing a LOT about these classes because we are doing some amazing things that I will want to share with you. If you do not participate in COOP, can I encourage you to at least try it if you haven’t? Many people do not like them and don’t find them necessary and that is what works best for them and I completely understand this but for us, COOP gives us a fresh scenery each week and allows us to learn with others. It breathes some much needed joy into our weeks (even if the planning is intense this year!). It has been a tremendous and valuable tool for our family.
- I was named a 2016 Base Spouse of the Year by Armed Forces Insurance and Military Spouse Magazine!!!! I don’t even know where to start on this one. I am still in total awe of this amazing title and opportunity. It brings tears to my eyes every time I realize how loved I am by those who mean so much to me. For me, I don’t care about the title at all, what means the most is that my nominations came from a place of gratitude for something I had done. Knowing that I, in any way, have made a positive impact into the lives of others is a HUGE blessing for me. I spent so many years of my life lost, broken and wandering. But Jesus. Oh how those two words cannot even begin to describe what He has done for me. He took me from a mess and is molding me into a message and I pray this precious opportunity gives me more abilities to share Jesus with those around me. It’s been amazing and it may be taking me to Washington D.C. in May. I am pretty amazed to say the least!
- My husband re-enlisted!!! In case you haven’t pieced it together just yet, my husband is career military. What was supposed to be just an enlistment or two has become a career and a decision we do not take lightly. We know God is leading us into something amazing with my husband’s career and we know it is going to take us to the places He needs us to go to share His light. God took a pretty bitter wife and opened my eyes to understanding that it wasn’t my husband who had it wrong. It was me. My emotions, my inability to see God’s plans caused me to struggle with these choices but not this time. This time, we forged this motion forward TOGETHER. If you are in a marriage that feels hopeless or you are bitter, my friend, I encourage you to ask Jesus to remove the veil. Because you just might find, that like me, it was not your spouse that needed a heart change. But about spousal heart change….
- My husband is all in and wants to be Baptized!!!!!! I can’t even say anything else. I just cry. This speaks volumes in and of itself; especially for those who know our story and our journey the last 9 years. So in the next month (or so depending upon the weather), our sweet friends will gather as one of our closest friends baptizes my amazing and incredible husband in the by right our house. (Okay I have to move on now because I am bawling already!)
- Life is great and God is good!!! There is so much going on all around me and some days feel like a whirlwind and I wonder how I will manage anything and I just want more sleep but God is in the middle of every moment saying, “You’ve got this. You’ve got this.” And I do. I have got an amazing and incredible life. I have a Savior who calls me His, even when I stumble, a husband whose love for me I truly cannot comprehend, three beautiful and amazing children, amazing friends all around us and God is moving us into greater places and greater moments. We don’t know what the pages hold the next year as we begin to prepare for another move but this time, we will be moving as a family (no deployments please Jesus!) with our hearts and lives firmly planted in what God is doing through us. These great waters of the unknown will no longer pull us under. We are going to surf ahead of the waves and soar with God into the places He has waiting for us. It’s an exciting reality.
So, in the days, weeks and months to come, I might seem a bit all over the place or maybe even a bit inconsistent but I will be doing exactly what God has for me that day. I am going to be more diligent in what I share; making sure it is valuable, it is on time and it is encouraging. We are in crucial days. Empty words and false gospels or promises have no place in these moments. We need authenticity and we need a genuine encounter with God’s love, truth and grace. I hope this place becomes just that like never before.
More than anything else, I pray you are encouraged. Oh the time. How it passes ever so quickly. Our moments are just that, moments. They come and they go but in the middle of it all, God is waiting for us to give them to him and I pray today, you do just that. Whatever your plans are, give them to God so you know what HIS plans are because they matter most.
If you want a bit of extra encouragement and some scripture in your life, you can also join me over on my Facebook Group, Women in the Word. You can find us by clicking the link below and requesting to be added. I will be verifying who you are, as this group is a sacred and special place for us as women of Christ to come together to share a journey in the Word while also sharing our needs, our hopes and our love with one another. Be blessed today!
Blessings and love,