As I prepare to go into a new year, I have a lot of things on my mind. This time of year I always find that I have a need to really evaluate myself and see if there are any areas I really want to work on or grow in. I can tell you, there are always plenty of those!
So this year I sat down a few days earlier than usual and really took time to reflect for several days before compiling my list of the Top Ten Goals I want to work to achieve in 2018:
- Get Healthy: Finding healthier recipes, not eating out and looking into a YMCA membership for exercise regularly.
- Play More – Worry Less: I want to focus on things that will allow me to ENJOY my life and children and help me also focus more on myself because I don’t do that nearly enough. Some of my personal “play” goals include learning to crochet, reading daily for myself and increasing my book completion each month, and picking up cross stitching again.
- Spend more time in prayer and Bible Study time: I really want to increase my time with the Lord, my time in intercession for others, and work on putting God first every day. One of my goals to have a prayer journal this year that I write in daily and really focus on being intentional in how I pray for myself and others.
- Grow my blog: I really want to be more intentional with my writing and to be consistent in writing daily. I want to be intentional with the content and the things I share and I want to work on trying to grow my community of followers and offer not just life stories but also faith builders and valuable resources and reviews that will help grow them, their families and their homeschools as I grow along with them.
- Grow my homeschool group: I want to work on creating weekly live video schedules, monthly giveaways, hosting live guest speaker events and one of my biggest goals is to research how to host a podcast. I would love to have a weekly broadcast but I want to really research this and pray about it to be sure that I do it well.
- Fun-Schooling/Have fun with learning: This year I want to be more INTENTIONAL with the BEST ways for MY children to learn. With that in mind, Fun-Schooling will our main focus for homeschool going into this year. I plan to purchase more Fun-Schooling journals and books that will help my son learn independently through reading and put together Fun-Schooling baskets for us both. I wan to focus on more read alouds this year ad having more free reading time so that my son can read and explore and have adventures through literature every day. I also want to work on creating a weekly field trip schedule but above all, I want to BREATHE daily and just TRUST GOD.
- Work on my personal writing: In 2012 I wrote a Women’s Devotional and was blessed to have a publishing company interested in publishing it. I got to the editing stages and hit a personal storm in my life that just caused me to shut down and pull my devotional from them. It was sort of a grown up temper tantrum with God. This year, I want to really work to make the editing changes and look into self printing options so that I can be obedient to the call to offer this devotional to the world in God’s perfect timing.
- Spend more quality time with my husband: Our daily routines are often chaotic and my husband works long hours while I am left to m own craziness of children, homeschooling and housekeeping. I love it all but I often get so consumed with all I am doing that my poor husband doesn’t get a lot of my time and attention. So I want to be more intentional to find time each month to spend alone with just him and I want to work hard at making sure these times are device free. This seems to be a distraction for us all.
- Deployment Readiness/Deployment Survival: This next year we will be facing a lengthy deployment. I want to be ready and prepared for when he leaves us. I want to work on putting together a Deployment Wall and a monthly care package schedule that will help me to have special themes, lists of items I want to send, cards and letters and plenty of photographs all listed out to make it easier putting together and sending on time for holidays or special occasions or just so my husband knows how much he is loved and missed. I also want to plan special deployment activities with my kids to help them learn about where their Dad is and what he is doing while he is gone. In addition to this, I want to keep a Deployment Journal this time where I can write down all the things I want to remember to share with my husband while he is away so that I have a place to record my struggles or joys without bombarding him while he is away when he is able to call or email. I want him to have something he can read and catch up on when he is home and adjusted to being back with us.
- STAY POSITIVE & BE JOYFUL: I have really struggled this last year with negativity. It has become a terrible mindset that I really want to focus on breaking. I want to be able to counter every negative situation and thought with God’s truth and to find joy and positivity in EVERY single moment, no matter the situation.
Goals are so important and if you do not usually sit and think about the goals for your new year, I highly encourage you to consider taking time to do just that. Having goals, written down where I can see them, help me to look at my year and focus on what matters most; they encourage me to work to be the best version of myself and to keep myself moving forward even when I am tempted to lie down and give up. They serve as a means of hope when I realize that little by little, my goals are met and they remind me that I am capable of so much more than I often give myself credit for.
So what are YOUR goals this year? What are some things that you really want to see change in your life? Write them down. Place them where you can see them and be sure to keep track of the moments when you achieve your goals.
No goal is too big or too small and anything can be achieved if you just work a little each day and never give up.
I would love to hear some of your goals for the year so feel free to comment below! In the meantime, good luck with your goal setting and onward hoe to another year!
In Christ’s Love,
My Written Goals for 2018 and some of the books I plan to start off my January with. I am so EXCITED to reread the entire “A Wrinkle in Time” Series and some new books I have been wanting to read for some time.